Located in Elyria, Ohio the school system encompasses: 1 high school, 3 middle schools and 7 elementary schools. Elyria High School founded in 1830, is notable for being the first chartered high school west of the Allegheny Mountains.
Elyria High School has been through several reconstructions and additions throughout its history. The oldest section, the Washington Building, built in 1894, is on the National Register of Historic Places. The Technology building was built in 1913 with additions constructed in the 1920s.
1. Client Challenge:
Elyria Schools historical energy and lighting functionality needs dictated that an overall lighting retrofit was required. The school system knew that with their aging historical building structures posed some challenges in achieving their energy and lighting quality needs.
RTS performed an audit of twenty-one public school buildings. RTS evaluated vast numbers of variables such as how the space will be used, amount of day-light, load potential, dimming, lamp color, initial cost, and cost to maintain moving forward.
2. Lighting Solution:
Retro-Tech performed a lighting upgrade in over 1,200,000 sq.ft. for Elyria Schools. Nearly 8,000 fixtures were retrofit with energy efficient lamps and ballasts and nearly 1,500 specular reflectors were installed. With buildings dating back to the 1800’s there was a major need for new luminaries in many of the schools. RTS installed over 4,500 new energy efficient fixtures throughout the District. In addition, two new Colortran auditorium dimming systems were installed – a smaller unit in a Middle School, and a larger unit in the High School. New lay-in lenses and wrap lenses were installed to replace many of the existing broken or missing lenses. Occupancy sensors and Vendmisers were also installed throughout the District.
3. The Results:
The overall results were impressive. The lighting kW and kWh were reduced 47% and 51% respectively. The light levels, appearance, and function of the buildings were also improved. By standardizing lamp and ballast types, the District saw an additional $45,000 in maintenance savings per year.